Monday, August 10, 2009

When something DRIVES you crazy

In an attempt to get a Japan driver's license, I took the driving skills test last Wednesday. I failed. Ok, no big deal. It was almost expected since most foreigners fail the ridiculously hard driving test at least once.

So I drove back to Morioka--a 2.5 hour drive one-way--again on Thursday to take the same test. And again I failed.
Well that's disappointing, but the third time's the charm, right? So I'll get it next time.

Feeling good about the test, I went back to try again on Friday. And for the third time in a row, I failed.
Major bummer.


I could go on complaining right now about how unfair and nit-picky the driving test is.

I could go into detail about the little things they said I did wrong, like how I need to brake two blocks ahead of a turn instead of one.

I could have let the outcome of the driving test bring me down--three days in a row.


But in the grand scheme of things, I know that it's really not a big deal.


I refuse to let this lower my self-esteem because I know that I can drive. So I choose to have a good attitude about this whole driving test ordeal. Is it frustrating? Oh yeah. But it's not the end of the world, and it doesn't do me any good to be negative about it. I'll go back to to Morioka on Wednesday for attempt number four with a positive outlook.

My friend Lysa from Proverbs 31 Ministries (ok, I actually don't know Lysa, but I read her blog faithfully and I feel like we'd be great friends in real life) wrote a devotional recently that I just have to quote right now because it's so relevent, and I can't say it any better...

I've started making the choice to say a simple statement that often diverts a bad attitude. And the statement is this, "If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, it's still a pretty good day."

Boy does this statement put things into perspective. I guess it's an everyday way to do a little heart check up. The Bible tells us that we should intentionally make our minds think of things that are good, true, excellent, and praiseworthy. The more I think about things like these, the more my perspective seems to stay in check.


In Colossians 3:15 we are instructed to, "Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts… and be thankful." Verse 16 goes on to say that we should also, "Let the word of God dwell in us richly…" Finally, verse 17 says, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus…" AMEN!

So the moral of my driving test story is this:


When things/driving tests don't go as I'd like them to, or when life is driving me crazy, I will do my best to focus on all the good, positive things in/happening in my life and be thankful. :)

1 comment:

  1. Daaayna,
    You are so positive!!! I did not know it was possible for someone to be this positive until I met you!!! You don't let the little things get you down which can be hard to do!!!
    ganbatte ne on your driving test!!!!

    ReplyDelete