Sunday, August 16, 2009

When at first you don't succeed...

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-- Thomas Edison


How extremely frustrating it must have been for Thomas Edison when time after time again he just could NOT make the lightbulb work! I can't even imagine.

But on the flip side, how THRILLED he must have been when he finally accomplished his goal! I'd be bouncing off the walls, I'm sure. :)

The sense of accomplishment is amazing -- especially if it's taken several tries/hard work to finally succeed.

It took me five times to finally pass the challenging driving test. (I don't even want to think about having to try 10,000 times like poor Mr. Edison!!) So when I finally did pass the test on Friday, it felt awesome, and I was pretty much bouncing-off-the-walls happy.

And now I'm so proud to present my Japan driver's license... :)

I was told not to show teeth, which believe me, was hard! If I had my way, I'd be shouting for joy in the picture. ;)

Sure, I would have been thrilled to pass the ridiculous test on the first time, but I think the sense of victory was sweeter because it wasn't easy.

I love Thomas Edison's perspective on failure/success, and I think it's absolutely amazing that he didn't give up! I want to have that same attitude.

I've decided to really challenge myself by climbing Mt. Iwate this fall. (As a reminder, that's the mountain I didn't climb last year with the other ALT's because I was convinced it would kill me!)


It's not going to be easy. I'm starting my training now by climbing stairs every day. Even the training--making myself exercise and climb steps--won't be easy, but I'm already determined to perservere.

This weekend, I got a glimpse of the challenge ahead when I was on top of a different mountain (which I rode up to, by the way). Mt. Iwate is the faint, but massive monster in the background of this picture...

Hello, Iwate-san. I'll be back to conquer you in October!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Daaayna,
    I am so happy that you finally passed your driving test! I did not know it was possible to stay that positive after not passing it that many times till I met you!!!
    Ganbatte on the mountain climing in October! I know you can do it!!!
    Ai shiteru

    ReplyDelete