Sunday, May 9, 2010

The shoes of a mother

While I really enjoy writing blogs, I also enjoy reading them. "Blog reading" has become a hobby.

It's so interesting to read another person's thoughts, another person's perspective on life. It's like taking a walk in someone else's shoes. And not only is that interesting, it's important. It makes you empathetic -- more understanding of another person's situation and feelings.

I've mentioned before that I really enjoy reading Lysa TerKeurst's blog of Proverbs 31 Ministries. Her blog is great for my faith walk and does my soul good. I encourage you to check it out.

A few months ago, I read a post she wrote about motherhood, and the tendency for mothers to blame themselves for the wrong choices their kids make. To be honest, this is something I hadn't really thought about much before since I'm not a mom.

But as I scrolled through the 180 comments (!), I read as mothers poured out their hearts and their feelings of failure. Many of them were wondering where they went wrong with their children. My heart broke for them and went out to them.

I've heard before that being a mother is the toughest job in the world. And I believe it.

So I want to thank moms everywhere for the extremely difficult and demanding job they do every single minute of every single day.

And I want to thank my mom and grandma's for all that they've personally done for me, and all that they still do, even from across the miles.

I wish for you a special day, full of love and appreciation that you more than deserve! If you're a mother, I'm saying an extra special prayer for you today.

Happy Mother's Day!
Love, Dana

1 comment:

  1. Daaayna,
    I thought of you today because I remember you speaking on Mother's Day a couple years ago and said that Mother's Day was to honor all women and I told my mom that today and she thought that was a great way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete