Friday, July 17, 2009

"I'd like to see the world for once all standing hand in hand..."

*Illustration from the Internet

It's a beautiful thing when people of different nationalities come together.

I couldn't help but think about that at the Independence Day party, when I was celebrating with a diverse group -- including people of nations that were at one time enemies of the U.S.


Besides thinking about this, I've recently been singing on this theme of the world's people coming together.

Two weekends ago, I sang "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" at Mayla's sayonara concert. It's such a catchy, upbeat song. (I couldn't help but wiggle a little while singing!) But more than that, it has a message about wanting to see the world live in peace and harmony. I believe in that message. Click here to watch the performance.

(Afterward, you can watch a video called "Asita" if you'd like. That's a Japanese song I also sang at the concert, with a message about tomorrow being a brighter day.)

With the recent passing of Michael Jackson, I've been listening to his songs and have sung them at karaoke a few times. As much as I like his hits "Thriller" and "Beat It," I really enjoy his songs "Heal the World" and "We are the World," which have inspiring messages about everyone making a difference. Here are the lyrics:

"Heal the World" Chorus:

Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me and the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough for the living
Make a better place for you and for me.

"We are the World" Chorus:

We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So lets start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we make a brighter day
Just you and me

These songs beg the question: What am I doing to make the world a better place?? It's a good question to stop and ask yourself.

I've recently been mildly obsessed with "Where is the Love" by the Black Eyed Peas. It's a song about not discriminating against people based on their race. Again, that's another message that I feel strongly about. It's really a great song with a powerful video. If you'd like to watch it, click here.

One of my very favorite things about living in Japan is being part of a diverse group of English teachers/speakers who get together--from different backgrounds and countries--and laugh together.

It's music to my ears. :)

1 comment:

  1. Daaayna,
    I really enjoyed your singing! You are an excellent singer! As I was reading your blog I was listen to "We are the World" so it was funny to me that you mentioned it in your blog!!!
    Ever since we sang "Heal the World" at karaoke I have been listening to it on youtube along with "We are the World". I too have been thinking of things I should be doing to help the world! I am not doing good at it at all! What should I do to help the people in need? You do a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete