Friday, April 24, 2009

Time to focus on today

I was just thinking about how I spend a lot of time thinking about time.

It's true.

My mind goes back in time and relives good memories from the past. Like picking daffodils in the yard. :) But at the same time, I'm also constantly thinking of the future. What will I be doing two years from now? Five years from now? Ten years from now?

Can anyone relate?

While it's good to do some planning ahead, I think it's even better to let God's plan -- which can be very different from our own plans anyway -- unfold naturally, so we don't get bogged thinking or worrying about the future. I don't want to be so focused on tomorrow and planning ahead, that I don't enjoy today.

As my Habitat trip to the Philippines gets closer (Just one week from this very minute I'll be starting the journey. Woo hoo!!) I find myself thinking, "I wish this next week would hurry up because I can't wait to go!"

I know I shouldn't be wishing away time, but it can be hard not to. I think it's pretty common to think things like, "I can't wait for..." or "I'll be so happy when...(this certain thing happens)..."

But I firmly believe that there is something to be happy about every single day. It's one of my main goals in life to choose to be happy every day while I look forward to the future.

As one of my favorite Christian writers, Joyce Meyer, wrote, "One of my greatest desires is to see people thoroughly enjoy the quality of life Jesus died to give us." Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Daaayna,
    I totally agree! It is better to just wait and see where God will take us! I doesn't cause a lot of stress if you do it that way! I often catch myself wishing my days away which is not a good thing...But I can't wait to leave for Japan and be there with you!!!

    ReplyDelete