Saturday, March 14, 2009

Embracing this season of singleness

I have several friends my age who are engaged, and a few who are married.

I'm truly happy for them!! They've already found the person they want to share life with, and seem to be having a great time either making wedding plans or enjoying being a newlywed. That's wonderful! (At least, I hope so, for their sakes.)


But at the same time, I can't imagine being engaged, married or having children right now, as a 22-year-old. That's just not where I, personally, am at in life right now. Different strokes for different folks, right?

I'm very content to be single at this point in my life.

Some single folks seem to get a bit bitter about Valentine's Day, and I assume White Day as well since it's kind of V-Day Part 2. But not me. On the contrary, I embrace the concept of sharing your feelings--and chocolate!--with people you care about.

I don't harbor any jealousy at all toward my engaged or married friends, or even my friends who have boyfriends. I have many guyfriends who are fun to be around/talk with, and I enjoy having guys as friends.

Sure, I get crushes on guys sometimes. And sure, I want to fall in love, get married and raise children....eventually. I'm in no hurry though. In fact, I want to use the decade of my 20's to see the world and do my own thing. I'm not looking for a boyfriend or husband.

Besides, I truly believe that God has a plan for me. One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

I believe that God will bring the right guy into my life at the right time. Therefore, I don't have to stress about it or wait around for "Mr. Right" to come along. Instead, I know that God has everything under control, and I just need to trust Him. In everything.

So I will not be stuffing my face with chocolate this White Day, mourning the fact that I don't have a boyfriend.

Well, the second part of that sentence is true, anyway. I'll probably--ok, definitely--be stuffing my face later! :)

2 comments:

  1. Daaayna,
    I agree with you! I believe as well that God has a plan and I often think about that when I think about who I am going to marry or other things that come up in my life. It's so cool to have that confort of knowing that someone knows what is going to happen with the rest of you life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said, pal. i am so proud of your willingness to embrace. you rock, my little egg beater!

    ReplyDelete